10/30/2006

GTEC conference material posted at Sun Microsystems


A couple of months back I attended the GTEC conference in Ottawa Canada as a partner of Sun Microsystems. The conference is designed as a technology show for IT folks in the Canadian federal government circles. I had the opportunity to meet with the Sun folks in Ottawa for extended periods of time, worked with some of them in the Sun Microsystems booth, and also met a couple of their reseller partners from the Ottawa region.

I noticed some interesting trends at the show. Several major vendors scaled back their presence significantly, including EMC, Oracle and Symantec. I mention these three because I frequently come across either the vendor or their partners at tradeshows. Also of note was a significant variance in attendance at the workshops. Folks seemed to be really interested in security, records management, and regulatory issues for IT. There was not as much attendance at purely technical presentations or demonstrations.

On the second day I presented a brief discussion of the risks and benefits associated with regulatory compliance, and some of the tools and technology that Sun Microsystems and AXS-One offer. The link to my presentation can be found at the Sun Microsystems site here.

No comments: